Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The kinds of things you can eat for dinner when it's just you

So, I bought an infrared gas grill today and am super excited to try it out. But I didn't get home and get it all set up until about 8 PM, so I decided to forego breaking it in until tomorrow.

And since Amanda was not feeling so great, she just wanted rice, so that meant I could make myself whatever I wanted for dinner. There is great freedom in this; I recommend doing this from time to time. It frees you from the constraints of letting others dictate what you get to call "dinner".

For example, I've been craving fresh guacamole, so I bought Rick Bayless's Frontera mix (lime, tomatillo, and cilantro based) because I love it. And it is easy. Just mash a ripe avocado in a bowl, and pour in half the packet and stir. Serve with a nice thick corn chip. (My favorite is Garden of Eatin' organic blue corn chips, but any sturdy chip that can hold up to chunky guacamole will do.) I add in fresh chopped cilantro and some white onion, chopped small, and rinsed, if I have it on hand.  Tonight I did not. I did however, already have kohlrabi cut into sticks in my fridge, so I tried dunking some of them into the guacamole in place of some of the chips. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was pretty tasty. And that was dinner tonight. Don't judge.

Here are other things I've called "dinner" when no one was around to make a fuss:
  • Radishes, salt, and butter, on gluten free crackers.
  • A variety of olives from the olive bar of Byerly's or Kowalskis; most typically with other deli finds such as a nice salami or some rotiserri chicken.
  • Hommus and raw veggies.
  • Cheese and crackers, with wine.
  • Eggs
  • Potato pancakes. I consider them a dinner pancake. I actually don't ever make them for breakfast.

May we all have the courage to try weird food for dinner, and the wisdom to know which ideas are worth sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment