Sunday, June 17, 2012

Spring CSA veggies, two ways


Some of my favorites arrived in the CSA box: garlic scapes, new onions, yukina savoy (the green leafy one that looks like a spinach), and amaranth (purple on one side, green on the other). So naturally, I began Meal #1 by chopping them. See above.   

Next, saute the onions, garlic scapes, and stems in a heated cast iron pan (or other oven-safe pan) in a couple tablespoons of olive oil. After the veggies start to change color, add the chopped leafy greens and some salt and pepper. If, like me, you can't leave well enough alone, grab some fresh herbs growing in pots on your deck, and tear and add them. Parlsey, thyme and oregano went into the pan here. 

Because my vegetarian daughter is wary of new vegetables (don't ask), after the greens were wilted, I pushed them to one side of the pan. Next add four eggs, whisked briefly with a fork. See below. When the egg starts to appear cooked around the edges, add shredded cheese on top (I added about 3 oz. monterey jack) and tput the pan in the broiler on low.


Watch it carefully, with the oven light on. When the cheese gets bubbly and just starts to brown, pull it out. See below.


Slice in wedges and serve with a side of fresh fruit. Yum!


Meal #2 starting with the same base. Follow the directions above, but before adding the leafy greens, add a can of white beans, drained (I used cannelini).


Now add the greens. See below. Because this was going to be a pasta dish, I added several chopped leaves of fresh basil (5 or 6- I was going for a pesto-like flavor), and a shake of crushed red peppers.


Serve over cooked pasta, which has been salted and tossed in olive oil. I used gluten free rotelli. You could use any type of pasta with a firm structure.


Viola! Hearty and delicious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment