Monday, June 18, 2012

Grilled cheese, with a side of laughter

When I don't get home from work until after 7 PM, it's tempting to wave the white flag, and order pizza, or head to Serum's Good Time Emporium- after all, they have the BEST Garlicilada spicy boneless wings.

But then I'm thinking, sure I want a little comfort food, but I have all these awesome veggies in my fridge calling my name. "Hi Susan, it's  your salad mix. Remember when you used to think I was so goodlooking?"   And that's when I remember one of my favorite quick meals: grilled veggie cheese. So easy, and so good. Just grill or saute some veggies in a little butter or olive oil until almost cooked through, sprinkle with salt & pepper, and remove from the heat. Almost any veggies will do- tonight it is yukina savoy and onion. At other times I've used almost any greens, summer squash, peppers, mushrooms, etc.

Slice some of your favorite cheese & keep it handy. Butter the outsides of your 2 bread slices (I used whole grain gluten free) and proceed to make a grilled cheese sandwhich, only with a layer of cooked greens added in between the cheese and the bread. Flip it when one side is brown. When the second side is almost done, carefully peel back the bread, and stuff in fresh salad mix. (Sometimes I also add some cooked bacon or sliced turkey, if I have it handy.)

Flip it again, and pull it off the heat right away. Cut in half, on the diagonal. (It tastes better that way). Serve with fresh radishes, or apples slices, or Norwegian hot dills (my favorite Minnesota pickle), and enjoy with a glass of red wine.

Even better, watch the latest episode of the Bachelorette with your daughter, while you're cooking, and then watch the spoof episode with Shaun and Ben (<name that show). Casue nothing goes better with grilled cheese than a side dish of laughter.

1 comment: