Friday, June 22, 2012

Lazy cooking done right

Hey- I'm not advocating a lazy life here. But the occasional lazy evening- yes! Go ahead, you earned it! That was pretty much the speech I gave myself on the way home from work tonight. Followed by, "Hey girl, you KNOW you want to stop at the bookstore to pick up a book on learning Italian and raising chickens. I should clarify- these were two separate books. Though how great would it be to speak Italian to my chickens- Hillary & Hailey, and Mario? "Salve, pollo.  E una bellisissima giorno, no?" Not that I have chickens yet. That is why I needed a book.

By the time I got home, I wanted something quick. But still good. So, I perused my pantry, then did a survey of the contents of my refrigerator.  I would just be cooking for myself tonight, and I've been known to have some pretty odd dinners when I'm the only one being experimented on. My own private research study. Funded by me. After signing a mental consent form; I pulled out the selected ingredients: 1) Harmony Valley organic salad mix (prewashed, for extra lazy days) 2) Hellman's mayonnaise 3) leftover slice of fritatta with garlic & greens 4) two slices gluten free whole grain bread and 5) one Amy's brand Sonoma veggie burger (made with quinoa, mushrooms, walnuts, and veggies). Weird, right?!

As a backup plan, I also grabbed a glass of white wine, and the bar of Godiva gelato hazelnut chocolate that I bought at the bookstore. That way, I could comfort myself if it was a total disaster.

My thought process developed from all those hours of watching the Food Channel when I was away from home, travelling for work. I don't get cable tv at home, so I watch like two hours of cooking shows and HGTV every night I'm away, just before I fall asleep. Anyhoo- I've noticed a trend to add all kinds of crazy stuff to the top of burgers, including fried eggs. Honestly, that didn't sound too appealing to me- mostly because a greasy burger, buttered bun, bacon, and fried eggs all together in one hand-held meal exceeds my grease quotient for the week. And yet, as I reviewed the contents spread before me, I saw possibilities in my cobbled-together version.

After all, the burger was made of veggies, nuts, and grains (even better- can be cooked in a cast iron pan with some olive oil in about three minutes per side.) The salad mix was fresh and light and pretty. The mayo was only to be a thin layer on the toasted bread- just to keep it from being too dry. So the eggs, in the form of a leftover fritatta (vs. a runny fried egg) would be the only real gamble. From start to finish, it took about ten minutes to make.

All in all- it turned out to be a good meal (especially when accompanied by the wine and followed by chocolate). I just might make it again someday. Maybe with a fried egg, instead of frittata, and some thick sliced pepper bacon. Without the mayo, of course.  I wouldn't want to overdo it or anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment