Sunday, October 21, 2012

Five favorite fall seasonings


I have more than forty spice blends or seasonings, and have used  them all at one point or another in my cooking. And yet, there are my favorites, that I turn to again and again. I've challenged myself to name my current top five for the autumn season. And here they are, in no particular order:

1. Course ground sea salt. The large granules add texture and enhance the flavor of everything from caramel (sweet)  to kale (bitter), to ice cream (creamy) and meat (savory). And of course, it is a required ingrediant if you want to make the best margaritas!

2. Adobo seasoning. It is the cumin and pepper-based spice that I use as a base for my own taco seasoning, spicy black bean dishes, and chili. It is also amazing on all types of squash.

3. One can of chiptole peppers in adobo sauce, pureed, with a healthy dose of cream. Be warned-this is VERY spicy- a little goes along way. I learned this lesson the hard way last fall, when I served sweet poatoes in this chiptole cream sauce, and the heat level was too much, even for me. I make a batch and keep it frozen to use as needed.

4. Vindaloo seasoning. I use this slightly hot Indian spice blend to make curries.  Its super easy to make- just add vindaloo seasoning libererally with salt to sauteed veggies- caluiflower, carrots, potatoes, sweet bell peppers, onions, squash, or any combination thereof. Add cooked chicken or pork or other meat if you like, along with enough coconut milk to make it saucy. Simmer on low heat, while you make basmati rice or rice noodles to serve it over. Other good things to add: thai basil and crushed red or other peppers (if you like your curry to be hot).

5. Penzey's cinnamon. It is the best I've had, hands down, and it goes well in many desserts (especially pear, pumpkin or apple!) and can't be beat in hot chocolate, hot apple cider, and in my spiced red sangria. Plus it makes your house smell amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment