Monday, October 8, 2012

High hopes and squash

I love it when something you're hoping will be good, turns out great. Whether it's a day, a person, or a meal.

It was kind of cold and dreary out today, so I thought it would be good to make something that would warm up the house, and my insides. I had seen a recipe that came with my CSA veggies to make Delicata squash into a black bean and squash taco. Yeah- I know- I thought it sounded kinda weird too. But I knew I could make it smoky and spicy by changing up the ingredients, and hoped that would make it taste good. Notice I said 'hoped', not 'expected'. I think one key to happiness might just be to keep your hopes high, and your expectations realistic. That way, great things are that much greater. And not-so-great things, are just something you tried, that hopefully you learn something from so it turns out better the next time.

Also key to happiness...bacon!

So I chopped up half of one squash, an onion, a poblano pepper and sauteed it in a pan with a two cooked pieces of bacon and a little bit of bacon fat (to make it good!- bacon is like food insurance)




Once the squash is pretty tender, add the spices. I added cumin, adobo seasoning, salt, and chipotle pepper to give it some smoky heat. Then stir in one can of black beans and cook until heated through.
.

Don't worry if it doesn't look gorgeous- its the taste that matters. Plus you are going to cover it up with that pepper jack cheese you just shredded.  Stuff the heated mixture into some blue corn tortilla shells (or the yellow kind, if you prefer), and top with cheese.

And since you were a good listener, and you kept your expectations low, you might just be pleasantly surprised at how great they are. In fact, you might even go back for a third taco. Because anything is possible. (That's where the hoping part comes in!)





Here's wishing you the cool sensibility of realistic expectations and the positive energy to keep your hopes high!

No comments:

Post a Comment