Saturday, October 6, 2012

Random observations of hot soup, hats, and old photographs

The kind of tired I am today is overachieving on regular kinds of tired. And yet, my late afternoon attempt at a nap after work was a fail. I have a hard time sleeping on planes anytime day or night, or in my own house when its still light out. Though, for some reason, I am able to blissfully nap in the middle of the day when I'm camping in a tent.  Go figure.

Anyhoo, when my brain is like this, I get distracted easily.

I thought it'd be best to make something easy for dinner. So, on my stove top, I put some celery and roasted onion in a pan with a little oil, until it started smelling aromatic, then I added water and salt, and some butternut squash and sweet potatoes that I had roasted earlier. I started in on my chores and let it all simmer on low.

Early into my chores, I decided I need to find a certain picture in one of my photo albums, so I opened up my travel trunk/ coffee table where I keep them, and started looking through the albums. I don't know how long I was looking- at least an hour- when I realized I had forgotten what I was looking for, so I closed the lid, and went to check on my soup.

It was interesting looking back. Here are some observations I made:
  • There are not many pictures of me in my albums. Probably a combination of the fact that I generally don't like getting my picture taken, and I'm usually the one taking the pictures. 
  • I was a bleach blond for only one year of my life. For some reason, I have lots of pictures of me as a blond, though I didn't necessarily look any better as a blond. So why? Maybe I just wanted evidence of my year of trying to have more fun?  :) Its a mystery to me.
  • Also, in my daily life, I rarely wear hats, yet in a disproportionate number of pictures I'm wearing a hat. Sometimes a baseball cap, sometimes a floppy sun hat, sometimes a cowboy hat. What is it with me on vacation wearing hats? 
  • Amanda was a really happy kid. I have many many many pictures of her looking super happy and loving life.
  • I used to go camping A LOT!
  • Clearly I like waterfalls. And pictures of waterfalls, the ocean, lakes, and sunsets.
  • I have been on a lot of really fun trips to many beautiful and interesting places. I find this interesting because I didn't really start to go anywhere until I was in my early thirties.

I'm sorry I didn't scan any old pictures for you today, but I'm too tired to operate advanced technology like a scanner. You'll just have to trust my observations as the truth. (Or a slight exaggeration of the truth)
 

 




Meanwhile, back at the ranch, my soup was done. I just needed mix it on the stove top with my immersion blender, add a little more salt, and stir in a little cream. Delicious!




As I was cleaning my blender, I caught a view out my kitchen window that made me grab my camera and run out on my deck and take this picture of my back yard, looking up at the sky.


No comments:

Post a Comment