Saturday, October 20, 2012

Homemade soup, figs in port, and other warm autumn experiments



 



I love autumn days like this, that start with foggy skies and clear to a full crisp sun. There are still some deeply colored leaves on the trees, but so many more are on the ground, that it crunches when you walk. I especially enjoy cooking in the fall- warm rich flavors but still bountiful fresh produce. It is the season for foods and feelings of comfort.  




This morning, I started a soup on the stovetop based on my CSA veggies (and some ham!): onion, celery (including the leaves) peeled purple potatoes, carrots, garlic, and purple cabbage. I had frozen some homemade broth earlier, and added that to the pot to simmer on the stove, while I soaked in the tub and read a magazine upstairs. By the time I got ready to start my day in earnest, the whole house smelled amazing. You will just have to use your imagination.
 
 
I turned off the stove, and ran to the store to pick up some things for a dessert I wanted to make: fresh figs poached in port. And even though it was just after noon- the town was buzzing already, getting ready for the Light the Night parade that will happen tonight on Main Street. in Anoka. The parade doesn’t start until 7 PM, but already the street was lined with lawn chairs and blankets.


Back at home, I was hungry for lunch, so I got myself a bowl of soup, which I topped with plenty of finely shredded parmesan cheese. Yum!
 



For a little treat, I sliced a green apple,  sprinkled it with coarse ground salt, and dipped the slices in a bit of warm caramel sauce. It was a really simple tasty meal!

 
Meanwhile, I found the recipe on Food Network for my figs which need to be used today. So here I go again, taking risks, trying something new. As I type this, the poaching sauce is reducing on the stove: Tawny port, sugar, vanilla, fresh orange peel, cinnamon, and 4 whole peppercorns.
 
I’m supposed to cook it to a syrup consistency, and it seems to be taking way longer than it should, but I’m trying to be patient. (Remembering a meal from less than a week ago, when it really paid off to be patient, and the results were better than I’d hoped for.)

Life is kind of funny, how it hands us lessons when we aren’t looking. It reminds me to try to pay attention, to proceed carefully- but still move forward, and to appreciate everything I have while fully in the moment.

And guess what? The figs turned out beautifully! Seriously- that sauce is amazing- I would bathe in it if I could!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment