Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Accidentally Delicious

On my drive home tonight, I was thinking about the CSA veggies in my fridge that still need to be eaten. Frankly, it just seemed like more work, on top of work. Which led me to thinking, maybe we should just go out to eat tonight. But here's the deal- no place I could think of eating near our house sounded better than the fresh tomatoes and bell peppers I had waiting at home. So I decided to cook pasta. Yay pasta! (This is my face, thinking about things that make me happy.)



Let's get chopping, Mr. Red Pepper, and Mr. Fresh Tomato.

Because I was tired, I left the skin on, but you won't do that. You will drop them in boiling water and peel the skin, because that is what people who are serious about good food do. Then again, I try not to get too serious about stuff like food. So I let it be. I also added some onion and garlic that I roasted the other night, because oven-roasting makes your food taste amazing. TIP: when you roast veggies, make extra, and save some.


Then I made fresh broccoli, because it is one of the veggies Amanda likes, and I thought it'd be nice to make her something she likes. I also made her some pre-made fresh egg pasta, because even though I need to eat the gluten-free stuff, there is no reason she should always have to settle every time. It's easy enough to have separate pots of boiling salted water. And I snuck in some extra flavor and nutrition by boiling her pasta in the broccoli water. Shhh, don't tell...

She likes very simple seasoning, so I just added real butter, salt, and pepper. She went back for seconds, which she almost never does.




 Meanwhile, I added some pinot noir to my sauce, because it was handy. And the sauce needed a little something. I knew this, because I taste my food as I cook it. I drained my gluten-free shells, tossed them in the sauce, and shredded some Parmesan cheese on top with my micro-planer. I just need to tell you right now, that I love my micro-planer- I am not exaggerating. It takes things like fresh nutmeg, or hard cheeses, and it makes it fluffy and amazing. And see how it sparkles in the light? Sigh. (OK, I may be exaggerating ever so slightly.)


And this was my finished meal. I am so glad we didn't eat out. Plus. it gave me the opportunity to watch "So You think You Can Dance" at home with my daughter, and that's priceless. (<hanging out with your 19 year old the week before she heads back to college.)  




P.S. Vote for Cole! :)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment