Sunday, August 5, 2012

Winning the food lottery

This is John. He is an amazing grill master, and cooking is not even his day job. I'm not kidding; he could take on Bobby Flay.




I've known him since forever. We went to college together, and I get to see him along with some of my other college friends, when we go camping at El Rancho Manana, which is usually only once a year.




He knows far too much about me, so I have to be nice to him. Of course this is easy, because he is one of the kindest, most down-to earth, manly guys I know. And now I'll stop gushing, because if he's reading this, he's probably embarrassed, because he's pretty darn humble and doesn't react well to too much attention.




So check out these ribs he made this weekend!  A) They were even more delicious than they look and B) yummmm! and C) Did I tell you he makes a mean margarita? 



Along with the ribs, were corn on the cob, and potatoes cooked over the grill with onions, peppers, and summer squash with olive oil and butter and salt and pepper and yumminess.



The best part just might be that even though I like to cook, I reeealllly appreciate it when someone else who's good at something, takes the reigns. I'm a pretty darn independant woman, but it's nice to get a break, and feel taken care of, every now and again.

Soon enough, it's back to reality.

When I got home from my camping R & R, I decided to make stuffed peppers with some of my CSA veggies. They seem fussy, but are pretty easy.

Start some rice right away. I have a rice cooker, which makes that easy. I made two cups because my daughter loves plain rice.

Cut the top off your peppers. And start them to boil on the stovetop. I only had one left, but that's OK, I just bake the extra 'stuffing'.




In a big pan, start cooking about a pound of Italian sausage (I used mild, but you could use hot), and add in some chopped onion, and Italian or other sweet pepper.




When that is mostly done, add a chopped fresh tomato and anything else that sounds good. I had a small summer squash that needed to be used, so in it went. (zucchini or eggplant would be good too). Add salt and pepper to taste. Pull off the heat. Stir in a cup of cooked rice to make your 'stuffing'.


Drain the boiled peppers when they are about 90% cooked and put them upright in the bottom of an oiled ovenproof dish that can be covered. Pack the inside with your stuffing mix, and put any remaining stuffing in the bottom of the pan. Top and shredded cheddar cheese, because cheese makes almost everything taste better. Bake with the cover on for 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees, until the cheese starts to melt.

Remove the cover and cook about 5 more minutes, till the cheese gets a little bubbly. Viola! 


If you were here tonight, I would make these for you, because I was the lucky girl who reaped the rewards this weekend, and now I'm ready to share my blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment