Friday, August 10, 2012

Trying new things- a concert in my home

I was having too much fun to stop and take more than a handful of casual snapshots, but last night I got to do something really cool.
My friend Kari is very musical, and has lots of musician friends. She got the idea to have two professional musicians she knows- Zach Kline and Jacob Lawson- perform a concert. In my home. In a million years, I would not have thought of this. But I had seen them perform at Bryant Lake Bowl in Minneapolis, and knew that they were really good. Their style is hard to describe, because they mix genres like bluegrass and rock, with a lot of improv. So I knew it was not going to be a stuffy event where you hold your pinky in the air as you nod off to Mozart. Of course I said yes.

Of course, there was wine.



And lots of good food.




Kari put all of it together. Except for a caprese salad that I threw together with basil from my patio garden, heirloom tomatoes & fresh mozerella. It was quite the spread. She should be a caterer.

















It was fairly last minute, so the guest list was compiled based on whether we thought the person was spontaneous, appreciated different types of music, and might be up for some non-traditional entertainment. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was super excited.


Everyone seemed to have a great time.






Several people didn't know each other, but that didn't seem to matter. People mingled and talked and ate food and drank wine. Then we sat down and listened to Zach and Jacob play some incredible music.



As I was watching them play their violins in front of my picture window, with my maple trees leaves swaying in the background, I was in awe. The music was beautiful, and it just seemed so perfect that they would be doing this here. In my home. I thought it might be weird, honestly, but it was amazing.



After the show, we all talked some more, and got to know the musicians better. It was so nice to see some old friends, laugh until my face hurt, and get to know some people I didn't know before.

If you ever get such an opportunity, I highly recommend to be like the Nike commerical, and just do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment