Sunday, July 15, 2012

Sauteed greens, 10 ways

Dealing with an abundance of CSA vegetables is a good problem to have. Though it can be a challenge; especially on weeks where I need to travel for work. In just a few days, I need to go to two clinical sites on the East Coast. Plus I had a busy weekend,  which leaves me with little time to prep and cook food.

Not sure what I was going to make, so I just chopped up a bunch of the veggies to use later. Celery and carrots, broccoli and cauliflower, and here: amaranth, yellow kale, and mild white onion.



The next day, I sauteed the onions in some olive oil for a few minutes, and then added the leafy greens and sprinkled salt on them. When the onions started to look translucent and the greens were wilting, I pulled it off the heat.




 This mix is now ready to use in several possible meals:

  1. Stir into red or white pasta sauce with roasted garlic & serve over cooked pasta
  2. Add cumin and peppers, and layer with cheese and black beans in quesadillas
  3. Add to sausage and white beans
  4. Mix with sauteed curried squash and coconut milk, served over rice
  5. Add to risotto, with basil, mushrooms and Parmesan cheese
  6. Use it to top a pizza. I like it with pesto and goat cheese.
  7. Add it to crisp bacon and precooked diced potatoes as a base for frittatta.
  8. Makes a delicious filling in a grilled cheese sandwhich
  9. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar, top with blue cheese and walnuts, for an interesting side dish. And...
  10. Make into galettes. (I didn't know what they were either.) They're basically like a savory pancake; they're easy to make and they freeze well in portions to eat later. I made them for brunch today.


To make gallettes:
I mixed 3/4 cup rice flour with 3/4 cup almond milk and two eggs. (You can use regular flour and milk; that's just what I had on hand.) Stir in a 2 or 3 tablespoons of fresh chopped herbs. I used basil, Italian flat leaf parsley, and lemon thyme. Then just stir in about a cup of the sauteed greens mixture. Don't worry, it looks kinda sketchy, but it'll taste good. Trust me.



Cook in non-stick pan with melted butter, just like pancakes. They're best served warm with melted butter. Go ahead, try something new!




No comments:

Post a Comment