Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Enchiladas, made for sharing

Craving enchiladas today, thanks to a Facebook post I read from my friend Alicia the other day.

Alicia is amazing- she has like twenty kids (five, actually), and writes articles for examiner.com, and is super crafty, and makes everything from scratch. Probably even water. On top of that, her family has many diet restrictions and allergies, so that makes cooking for a crew even more challenging. I know how hard it can be to cook for two people- one a vegetarian, the other gluten-free (me), so when she posts about cooking, I pay attention.

Which brings me to the enchiladas she talked about making for her family a couple days ago. Instead of chicken, she used white beans and mushrooms and a whole bunch of other tasty sounding fillings, and made a white sauce with spices, from scratch. It sounded amazing.

If you were paying attention earlier this week, you'd notice that when I made the grilled pizza with onion and mushrooms, I reserved one of the packets of those grilled mushrooms and onions and roasted garlic. I had a plan. I don't always have a plan, but this time I did.


Tonight I mixed those grilled veggies with a can of white beans and green chiles, and added chiptople and adobo seasonings. I added this filling to corn tortillas with some shredded cheese, rolled into enchiladas, and topped with Rick Bayless' red chile enchilada sauce, and more white cheese.



It was super easy. Baked in the oven for fifteen minutes at 400 degrees; it was way better than any fast food would've been (though probably not as good as Alicia's enchiladas in white sauce.)


And a little later when my friend Kari dropped by to drop something off, she got to have some. It's fun to be able to offer up good food to spontaneous visitors. It reminds me of how my Grandma Regal would always have a just-made loaf of banana bread or something to offer, even if she wasn't expecting anyone over. It is one of my goals in life to be ready and always open to welcoming people into my home. I can't promise a fancy setting or gourmet food (or even that I'll be wearing make-up), but when I am ready to give a little something of myself at a moments notice, that makes me very happy. And hopefully it brings a little joy into others' lives as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment