Friday, September 14, 2012

Yummy Summer Lasagne

Very productive day. I was super tired when I left work, but there was more to be done, so I just bucked up and did it. Maybe it helped that I had to stop at Fleet Farm on the way home. It's one of the few places I like to shop- I just love how that place smells. Yep, I'm weird.

Anyhoo, I had all these veggies at home -from my CSA and my weekend up north- that needed to be used, so even though it was tempting to go eat out, I decided to make fresh tomato and eggplant lasagna, from scratch. Cause that's how I roll. Sometimes.

Some people say eggplant is bitter.They might be right, but not when I make it. After slicing one medium eggplant in thick slices, I sprinkle it liberally with salt, and let it sit until water beads on the surface. Like in this picture. Then rinse it, and pat it dry, because you need to brown it in a hot pan in some olive oil (or on the grill) and you don't want it to taste greasy.



Then I sliced two heirloom tomatoes (one yellow, and one red) in thick slices, so they would hold up when they were cooked.



Next, I chopped a small onion and two cloves of garlic, and sauteed them as well.

 
 
 
Cook a half package of lasagna noodles until they are not quite  done.
(I used gluten-free pasta, so I could eat it.)



Drain the pasta, and layer your ingredients. I added fresh spinach as a layer too, because I had some to use. Bake for about 45 minutes, covered. (If you wanna be like me- while you're waiting for the lasagna to cook, you can destroy that pesky wasp nest on your front porch. )

Then top with shredded cheese and bake another 10 minutes or so. I used Tilset cheese, from Wisconsin. Just 'cuz.



Slice and enjoy. Yum!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment